A Nutella banana bread recipe that’s easy for kids to bake, with just a few store cupboard ingredients. I make a lot of banana bread, all my family like it, it’s good to keep the kids going in between meals and I always seem to have bananas going brown in my fruit bowl. Plus, it’s perfect for cooking with children. From fun mashing and bashing
How to Make Chocolate Banana Bread
- Loaf tin with the base greased and lined with greaseproof paper or a loaf tin liner
- 3 large bananas (the browner the better)
- 80g of butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 180g of soft brown sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 225g of self-raising flour
- 100g of Nutella (or whatever’s left in the jar)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (160 for fan assisted) or gas mark 4.
- Peel the bananas and brake up into small pieces in a large bowl. (This is a great job for little helpers while you weigh out the other ingredients)
- Use a potato masher or a fork to mash up the bananas.
- Put the butter in a microwavable dish and microwave just for a few seconds until soft but not melted.
- Add to the banana mix and mash again. (It now looks a bit of a lumpy mess, with flecks of butter still visible but that’s ok)
- Stir in the sugar, egg and vanilla essence, then mix until all combined.
- Add the baking powder to the flour and then sift into the batter and mix until smooth.
- Pour the Nutella into a microwavable dish and heat for 10 seconds or until runny so its easier to swirl.
- Spoon half of the mixture into the tin and swirl half of the Nutella in the mix with a spoon.
- Pour the rest of the mixture in the tin and do the same again. This is another fun job for the kids, marbling the chocolate spread into whatever patterns they like. Once you’ve used up all the Nutella, pop in the preheated oven.
- Set a timer for 45 minutes. Check the loaf to see if it’s cooked (Push a skewer in and if it comes out clean it’s done) If it needs more time, but getting very brown, cover with some baking paper and cook for up to another 10 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and tip onto a wire rack to cool.
Easy Chocolate and Banana Bread to Cook with Children
This is the recipe for one loaf, but if I’ve got a whole bunch of bananas that we’ve forgotten about, I often double up the ingredients and make two. Once baked, it freezes really well. I wrap the loaf in baking paper and a couple of layers of tightly wrapped clingfilm.
Left Over Banana Bread Variations
I also use this recipe as a base for different banana
For more Nutella ideas, try my chocolate dough balls recipe
Looking for easy family recipes? here’s a few of my favourites…
This quick Slimming World sausage dinner is a great way to add flavour to lots of lovely speed veg. A healthy family meal, ready in under an hour.
If you are looking for a quick family recipe that’s syn free, easy to batch cook and with hidden veg, here’s my go to chili recipe for an easy mid-week meal.