These easy banana and blueberry muffins are my go to recipe when I need to use up old bananas going brown in the fruit bowl. It’s also a great recipe to make with children as its super simple and can withhold a lot of mixing and beating. We make a lot of banana bread and this is a variation of the normal recipe that’s much more portable for a snack, pack lunches and they also freeze well.
- 4 bananas (the browner the better)
- 80g of butter
- 180g of soft brown sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 225g of self-raising flour
- 2 handfuls of blueberry’s
- 12 cupcake paper cases
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan assisted) or gas mark 4.
- Peel the bananas and brake up into small pieces in a large bowl. (This is a great job for little helpers while you weigh out the other ingredients)
- Use a potato masher or a fork to break them down in a bowl until you have a lumpy mixture.
- Put the butter in a microwavable dish and microwave just for a few seconds until soft but not melted.
- Add the butter to the bowl and mash again. (It now looks a bit of a lumpy mess, with flecks of butter still visible but that’s ok)
- Add the sugar and beat until combined.
- Crack the egg into a cup, give it a light whisk and add to the mixture and stir in.
- Add the baking powder to the flour and then sift into the batter and mix until smooth.
- Lastly, add your blueberry’s to the batter and give the mixture one last stir checking everything is mixed in and you have a smooth batter.
- Pop 12 paper cases into your muffin tray and using a couple of spoons dollop a spoonful of the batter into each case, using the other one to guide and catch drips.
- Put the tray in the middle of the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once ready remove from the oven and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
If you haven’t got any blueberries, it works equally well with raisins or chocolate chips AND if you like the combination of chocolate and banana, have a look at my Banana and Nutella Loaf recipe its super easy to do, my children love it.
LOOKING FOR EASY FAMILY RECIPES? HERE’S A FEW OF MY FAVOURITES…
This quick Slimming World sausage dinner is a great way to add flavour to lots of lovely speed veg. A healthy family meal, ready in under an hour.SLIMMING WORLD CHILLI WITH HIDDEN VEG
This easy recipe for Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies look delicious from the lifestyle blogger Emma and Three.
There are lots more blueberry treats to try on the Cosy Home Blog in her Three recipes with one punnet of Blueberry’s challenge